Woke up this morning feeling fairly rested, and running late. After a quick shower and grabbing everything I needed for training this afternoon I was out the door.... with no breakfast :S.
I had already decided to take some protein powder and flaxseed meal into work so I quickly thought what else I had and breakfast became yoghurt, strawberries, protein powder and flaxseed meal, all components covered :). I was still feeling a little less than energised however figured that today's session would help, was determined that today was going to be better.
I kept it together with nutrition throughout the day and was feeling pretty good about that. During a slight downtime at work I came across two articles Josh had written, one on excuses and the second on mindset. These articles ready helped me put things in perspective and I was determined to go into today's session with a different attitude..... and it worked.
Pre supplementation taken care of I was ready for today's session (even though I knew the dreaded dips were included).
We started on the bench press and I will admit I felt stronger. The last couple of reps on last weeks weight were a little shaky however we finished them. Josh of course decided I still had more in me so on went on the weight. I would love to say it was like 10kgs or something however I think it was 500g.....
Still felt strong at the start but then it started to get hard, and I mean really hard. The last rep got to the stage that I hate and love. The point where it feels like that bar isn't going anywhere. You want to keep it from falling on your head however no matter how hard you push it ain't going anywhere. Josh is constantly there to make sure it doesn't fall on your head however it won't help you until that point where you just can't do it......... and somehow you still manage to finish it. On the final push, with Josh's support and encouragement (and perhaps a little help) and a lot of weird twisting and maneuvering from me that barbell got up there. Yay, no flattened head for me today.
It is always great encouragement when your trainer smiles at you and says "that's the hardest you have ever pushed", my afternoon was definitely improving. :)
Next is the inclined barbell press. The first set felt pretty good, although fairly light hehehe
The second set jumped in weight however felt ok.... at the beginning. Towards the end my right started twisting as I was pushing up. What did it think it was a baton for twirling?? The twisting hurt a little although it wasn't the pain making it twist.
So down we went in weight and the bling came back on (that was my plan all along muahahahaha. no really it wasn't, I swear Josh!) This time it was better and I was able to complete the sets not quite as wonkily.
Then onto the dips. Now I will tell you that all day my back, more specifically my lats, were hurting all day. Kept twinging and really bugging me so I wasn't sure how that would effect the dips however I climbed aboard. The warm up set was relatively easy and I didn't feel the niggle that I thought I would. Josh commented that the dips were deeper than last week so that helped the focus :).
The next set was a little more difficult requiring some help from Josh who helped while correcting my form, he can multitask after all. :P I have a habit of crunching down when it gets difficult so have to concentrate on keeping my chest up. That set done and next...... another set of course!
Once the next set was shakily completed I jumped off ready for the next challenge and challenge it is.
When I started going to see Josh I realised that my abs are not exactly the strongest and the carious series of crunches and leg raises hurt and hurt hard. (I've learnt that when he says "Pick a number between 10 and 15... go for the lower number!! It is the difference between the 100 ab reps I could have done and the 225 I did do!!)
However slowly core strength has been improving however today he introduced me to the Wheel of Death (which he belatedly tried to rename the Wheel of Serenity). The Wheel of Death is a little innocent looking wheel with handles either side. The purpose is to smash your abs!
You start in a kneeling position and grasp the handles. You then place the wheel in front of you and find your centre of balance. The next thing is to slowly roll the wheel out in front, and your body follows, then to get back you crunch your abs muscles. Could really feel it.
Well I can tell you that after this session, that ended with a bit of laughter, I certainly felt brighter than on other days. So I'm signing off for the night and will return tomorrow with ... Legs!
Good night all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment