Wednesday, February 17, 2010

And we begin.......Week One

The MP training for me consists for resistence training with Josh 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday) and one Blitz session a week (Tuesday) for the first 4 weeks. (the other 3 days involve less intense activities)

Note: Yes I managed to get myself a three day weekend... hehehe... don't tell Josh.

In addition to the exercise component there is a larger focus on nutrition and how it will aid in making permanent changes. So this part involves reading a chapter and then having a weekly talk about the principles of the program. (and yes I do feel like I'm back at uni :P)

Day One
So day one I turn up thinking "ok we generally do bench press, pull downs, leg press and lunges (ugh). I can handle this".

Now I should point out that just 2 days beforehand Josh opened his new premises and I will just say it is a little larger than the double garage we were training in before..........

So Josh informs me that as we now have 3 training sessions each session will concentrate on a different muscle group (Back, chest and legs - with a couple of extra muscles thrown in for good measure). Day one is back and with a wide smile he simply says, "We are doing chin ups today".

Well I did a chin up straight away, lifting my chin up off the floor "The computer says No!" was my head's first response.

He looked at me and my look of horror and said "have faith"

One of the main problems with Josh's new place is that he has many more instruments of torture..... I mean ways of punishing .... I mean apparatus to assist in increasing strength, fitness and health (is that better Josh?)

He led me to a machine that I had been eyeing off during the open day wondering what the hell it was (apart from a device to tighten weight belts - another story for another time...) and he informed me to "hop on". This nifty little device is an assisted chin up machine (also an assisted dip machine but we'll get to that)

For this blog I'm not going to going through each set . Suffice it to say.... it bloody hurt!!!
From here we went to the pulldown machine and I was relieved simply because I knew what to expect from this beast.... or so I thought. After the chin ups my forearms hurt and I just couldn't do what I normally did. From here we went to the dumbbell row, which I don't mind too much and then he sprung it on me........ barbell curls (I think that look of horror came back)

I lifted the bar just fine and then the weight went on. The first couple no problem, and I'm happily thinking this is ok then it happened......... that bar was not moving how it should. It just wouldn't lift past a certain point. Oh wait, if I bend my knees and curve my back it will move up.... oops not supposed to do that.

Well anyway that was the first official day of MP and I was shattered.

Day Two

The next day I was up at 5am for the weekly Blitz session and I will admit I felt fairly energised and felt like I put in a good session

Day Three

Day three we returned to the gym (and I'm sure he rearranged things again....)
Today was the day to smash my chest, well um you know what I mean. I felt pretty good about this session because my performance on the bench press had been improving and I was feeling pretty good about the dumbbell press.

Bench Press - I did ok. Pushed as hard as I could and I think I did pretty well.

Dumbbell Press - Well of course he had to switch it up, I'm now doing an inclined dumbbell press. Straightaway this felt odd and I knew that I wasn't going to be able to do the sort of weight I was doing on the flat dumbbell press. However did pretty well.... and I got to wear the bling (wrist weights) :D

Then, well, you remember that assisted torture machine? Yep, it re-entered my life. My triceps were still shot from the session on Monday and as I climbed the steps of this machine to do assisted dips I swear I heard them scream in terror.........
My triceps and I got through it however probably not as strongly as we should have.

Following a quick abs session of crunches and leg raises day three was done.

Day Four

By Day Four I figured I should just move into the gym (although that it's fair, I'm there a maximum of 3.5 hours a week and Josh is there a minimum of 14 hours a day!)

Today was the legs session and I was strangely looking forward to it. Josh brought out this strange looking bar set it down and promptly said "10 reps". I looked at him, looked at the bar (actually a trap bar) and asked "Um, what do I do?". I'm pretty sure I think he thought he had introduced me to this before. Well what I had to do was deadlifts, essentially squats with weight, and boy could I feel it!

Next up was the ever wonderful Leg Press. I'm had an issue with knees for a while now however they have been slowly getting stronger and I've been able to slowly progress on this beast of a thing (affectionately known as The Hulk)

Now the next activity was lunges....... not going to dwell on this because I may commence swearing and I'm a lady....... ok ok I'm no lady however the thought of lunges does indeed bring certain words to mind.

After the abs session we were done for the week.

I will post the next week in daily lots (after I have a protein shake - meal 6 for the day :D)


No comments:

Post a Comment