Monday, May 2, 2011

Did she nail the hill or did the hill nail her?

The day finally arrived. I woke early and had a breakfast of vegetable omelette and fish oil caps. Protein shake prepared, ipod charged and loaded, and I was ready to take on the hill.... Nail Can Hill that is.

Simon and I drove to Bonnie Doon park and then jumped on the bus to meet the rest of the Physique Essentials team before the start of the run. We all lined up ready to go and..... We were off.

Tina and Treena soon started to run ahead (the boys and Vicki started in the group more in front of us) however I didn't mind because I always knew I was going to be at the back of our pack.

My first accomplishment came in the first kilometre. Last year I could barely jog 200 metres before I had to slow to a walk, this year I got through the first kilometre before slowing.

I was feeling good. I knew that I was fitter than last year and then it happened. A slight niggle in my left calf. It was starting to ache and I hadn't even reached the hill yet, I was worried.

We started the assent in the hill and all those positive feelings vanished. My calves were stinging, my legs felt heavy and all I could think was "if only I'd eaten better, if only I leg pressed more, if only I pushed harder in Blitz, if only......."

People started passing me and my mood was not the best. However I kept powering on knowing I can do this. I reached the top of the ridge and then it hit me....... I'm at the top and I am not absolutely destroyed like I was last year. I can do this. I shook the ache out of my legs and started jogging.

For the rest of the run I kept setting little challenges:
* jog through this song
* jog the rest of this kilometre
* keep in front of that person
Etc

Somewhere along the way my mindset changed and I felt lighter, I could breathe better and I think I actually smiled. I may not complete it in the time I originally set however it will be better than last time.

As I neared the end I got more energy. The closer I got to Bonnie Doon the more I knew I could finish in a jog.

I saw Simon ahead waiting for me, standing alongside Kris, and as I got closet they yelled out encouragement. I entered the park having no idea the time. I looked across and caught a glimpse of the official timer clicking over to 1:44 and my only thought was "I can do this in under 1:45".

I actually picked up the pace and started to sprint (well my version of a sprint) towards the finish line. Right near the finish line I heard the entire Blitz crew yelling out to me and boosting me with encouragement as I cross the line at 1:44:51. I had done it!

When I met up with the Blitz crew everyone congratulated me on the great effort and improvement. Not one mentioned not getting under my goal. That didn't matter, what mattered was I had done better than last year. I had improved.

That's one of the great things about Metabolic Blitz and the crew that do it. They will support you all the way. As long as you are trying and improving they have your back.

So Nail Can Hill has been run and done. And although I sit here typing this a day later sore and shattered I'm happy.

I did well and so did everyone of my blitz buddies.

Congratulations and thank you to all of you. It was great running with you. Now let's look towards our next challenge :)


1 comment:

  1. Well done that girl! Great attitude and great result. Love You

    ReplyDelete