Thursday, May 5, 2011

Out of the ashes....

The start of this week was... a challenge ... to say the least.

We started the week off with a particularly tough session at Blitz.  Now don't get me wrong it was a brilliant session however as my legs were still tender after Nail Can on Sunday all the squats were a little difficult lol.

From that point though my day just seemed to plummet. I initially put it down to a post Nail Can Hill adrenalin crash however I knew there was more.  Some things I could put my finger on others I couldn't.  You know 'just one of those days'.

I can usually shake those off however the feeling continued for the next couple of days.

Wednesday ended up being particular difficult.  With feelings of being overwhelmed, angry and disappointed about some things and I had an overarching sense of, for the lack of a better word, sadness.  (Someone actually said I had lost my mojo).

Now I'm not writing this in any way for sympathy, really it is just a back ground to what came next.

As many would know, over the last few weeks the part I have struggled most with is getting back on track nutritionally.  This week, despite everything I was determined to do well.  So when Wednesday rolled around I was two days into the week without being able to tick either day off. From a training point of view I personal feel I did quite well.  Weights increased on Tuesday and I pushed hard at Blitz on Wednesday morning.  And with that strong start to the day with Blitz I wanted to get through a 'perfect day'.

I started off well and I was prepared with shakes and fruit and all the good things in life.  However, my mind really wasn't on the job.  There were times throughout the day where those fundraising chocolates and vending machines at work were calling my name and on many occasions I almost gave in.  However I had a secret and powerful weapon... support.

Simon kept me strong all day.  He knew the mood I was in and also knew how that mood could turn against me and I could self sabotage my nutrition (which in itself could derail me further).  So Simon kept encouraging me and supporting me and telling me I could do it.  And I have to tell you, it really helped.  My mood still wasn't great however I was keeping to plan regardless of the siren call of the chocolaty goodness.

As the day went on I clawed my way out of the depths of whatever had a hold of me and by the end of the day I was back to being me.  I had regained my mojo so to speak.  Simon supported and encouraged me right through to my sixth meal and I did it!  A perfect day.

The main thing I learnt through this is that although it may be true that all eating is emotional, with the right choices, determination and support you can combat the draw that emotional eating can have.  I wanted to turn to comfort food, however I didn't.  In a sense, keeping to plan and doing the things that are good for me also helped me feel better generally.

It also proved that with the right support you really can achieve your goals.  So always turn to those who you know understand your goals and are willing to help you towards them.  If someone isn't helping you or even so far as trying to sabotage them, turn to someone else.  Someone will ALWAYS be willing to stand by your side and encourage you.

I now write this at the end of another perfect day (2 in a row - can you believe it??) and you know what I'm feeling pretty darn good about myself. :)

So as you can see, this wasn't about how I was feeling, rather what is capable despite the factors that can bring you down.

I promise my next blog with be a little more upbeat ;).

Take care, stay strong and know that you can achieve your goals

1 comment:

  1. I knew Simon was far more than just a sensational cook and great friend.....now the Master Motivator ( new superhero)Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete