Sunday, April 17, 2011

Have I ever told you how much I hate lunges..........

Well here we are, one week down in this twelve week journey.

I had a kind of mixed week. I unfortunately could not mark off a single day this week as being perfect in every way, particularly when it came to nutrition however I certainly have seen improvements compared to the last three months.  My main issue has been poor preparation resulting in me not getting 6 meals in each day I have thought been averaging 5 and I am back to eating breakfats.

On the one day I diligently ate 6 meals and everything else was on track I succumbed to a little rascal.... Freddo.  You see at work, the tea rooms have been taken over with fundraising activities such as lamington and pie drives and the ever present Freddo and his mate Caramello Koala.  They generally hang out on a Honey Nougat Log (which are soooo nice and what I would usually go for).  After resisting them for a while for some reason on this particular day I grabbed one.  Did it taste good? Hell yes, however I knew I just shouldn't have it.  Chocolate of the dark variety can be good in moderation however the creamy raspberry filled milk chocolate delight that is a Freddo was not perhaps my best choice of the week.

From an exercise point of view, I can definitely see improvements from when I started, both from a fitness and strength point of view.  This time around I have reduced my resistance training sessions to just twice a week, instead of three.  I will admit that I kind of miss the third session however with how Josh is pushing me I think I'm going to be thankful for the recovery time.  

On Friday I had my leg session and I am sitting here typing this on Sunday not wishing to move around on the seat too my because..... MY BUTT HURTS!!!!

My leg sessions comprises of the Leg Press, lunges (oh dear lord the lunges), leg curl and calf raises.  When I started training with Josh I could barely do a half rep lunge holding onto support, and I have certainly progressed from there.  In the last lot I thought I was going great guns, with the weight going up and doing ok.  However now that Josh has taken over, he has stripped the weight off the bar (bar still weights 20kgs on its own) and I'm not allowed to increase the weight until my knee hits the deck.  Those are deep lunges!  I will admit that my greatest fear is I will get into one of those lunges and just not be able to get up again.

However I will readily admit that after that session I feel that the muscles have definitely been worked (don't let me get started about my calves.....) and it feels good (the hills sprints the next day didn't feel so good lol)

I think I'm going to do ok during these next eleven weeks.  I am improving habits and kicking the bad habits that had crept back.

My mini goals for this week -
  • 3 days I can tick off as perfect days
  • my knee to hit the deck
Until next time... take care of you and those around you

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Clare on the lunges, not my favourite activity either. When I started I had to hold on and still wobbled all over the place like jelly! Well done for working on kicking those bad habits and replacing them with healthy ones!

    ReplyDelete