Yesterday I commenced my second Metabolic Precision (MP) program with Josh Dickinson at Physique Essentials http://www.physique-essentials.com/
Over the last 8 months Josh has taken me from someone who did limited, if any, physical activity to someone who completed the Nail Can Hill Run and now interested in getting into long distance running (yes you read it right..... running). Also, my food choices are a LOT better than they ever were.
Although nutritional choices have improved there are times that it is less than perfect. Over the weekend I was up in Sydney and I my nutritional choices were not exactly brilliant. (In fact on Sunday I made it to 3pm having only eaten one meal...... not good)
What I now find is that my body tells me when I go off track. It reminds me in no uncertain terms that it likes how I've learnt to eat and does NOT wish to return to my old habits.
The Program
Through this program I will undertake 3 resistance training sessions at the studio with Josh. For the first 4 weeks I will do one session of Intense Cardio Exercise (Saturdays at 8am at Willow Park for a FREE Cardio session with Physique Essentials :D) which will slowly build up over the program.
In addition, the program provides great nutritional instruction and support. Which I have certainly found helpful in determining what works for me. Not everyone is the same however the principles can be followed by everyone.
Session One - let's amp it up
At the studio Josh and I went through the new printouts for the program as well as reviewed the first couple of chapters of the nutritional information. Then came the fun part.......measurements :S.
Compared to 8 months ago, a few centimetres have certainly disappearred however, as anyone who is not happy with their body will tell you, measurements are still not a favourite part (even less satisfying when you find out that a couple of extra centimetres have snuck back on).
then the photos, which admittedly don't scare me as much as they used to. It is interesting to look back over them and remember the person I once was (and have no desire to become again).
Training Time
A quick 10 minutes on the treadmill before the fun really begins. Josh has moved my leg session to Mondays which works great as my cardio sessions are later in the week and believe me after the smashing that Josh gives my legs, I generally find running, jogging or simply plain walking difficult!
Started off with Deadlifts. Even with my very loud knee crunching (if you've never heard my knee I'm more than happy to demonstrate any time hehehe) I like the deadlifts.... although my legs tell me otherwise.
Then onto the Leg Press (aka The Hulk). The weight is not huge however slowly however I'm determined to improve on that each week. I have also learnt that grunting really DOES help push that weight up!
The next exercise was a new one, straight leg deadlifts....... however I'm going to step back a little......
The new exercise is replacing a particular exercise that I will readily admit was NOT my favourite, lunges. However, I have definitely progressed with the lunges. When I started I could barely complete a half rep supported lunge, and by the end I was holding 10kg weights, however I still just simply did not like them.
The position for a straight leg deadlift is a little strange (feet 4 inches apart, bend at the hips, squeeze the shoulder blades, chest up) however I could certainly feel it in the hamstrings and butt.
To finish of the session did some calf raises and then the ever present core work (determined to be able to get elbows to knees without anyone sitting on my feet by the end of this program)
After that session my legs were smashed and that's a great feeling.
Oh did I tell you that to leave the studio you need to climb up stairs.......... took me just a little while to get to the top lol
Nutrition and getting back on track
With my new found resolve on Nutrition I started the day of fairly well (although could do better). Due to a slightly late rising I didn't have time to make my vegetable omelette so quickly wizzed up a tried and true protein shake with plenty of berries and flaxmeal. (This also served as the basis for my morning and afternoon tea meals)
For lunch I had tuna and four bean salad which I will admit has become one of my favourites. Mainly because it is easy and covers the components I need in each meal.
I finished the day off quite well nutritional with Chicken and Salad for dinner and then a protein shake to round out the day.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment