Yesterday (Friday) Simon and I started a running program, Couch to 5K. Essentially the purpose of the plan is to slowly progress you over 9 weeks until you can run/jog for 30 minutes. Now anyone who knows me can tell you I am no runner however after completing the Nail Can Hill run and the Mothers' Day Classic I decided I wanted to give it a go.
Luckily there is an app for the iPhone which times the run so that makes it a lot easier. The first week of the program involves a 5 minute walk warm up and then 60 seconds running followed by 90 seconds walking for around 20 minutes then finishes off with a 5 minute cool down.
To be honest the program is pretty good however it took me a little while to get into the running rhythm. My cardio isn't crash hot however I definitely hope to improve. It also helped having Simon with me because on one of the run sections I stopped early and he pushed me on (Thanks Simon :D ).
So this morning was supposed to be the fitness session at Willow Park with Josh, and also my return to ICE (Intense Cardio Exercise) as part of my program.
When Simon and I go to the park, let's just say it was a little wet. Josh was not far behind and there was only one other person waiting there. Josh happily pointed to a puddle and suggested that perhaps we could do burpees in the puddle..... NOOOOOOooooooo.......
After Josh went and spoke to the other person about whether or not we should continue (and after pointing out that the only beings out on the field were ducks lol) it was decided that it was just too wet to continue.
Now as part of my program I have to do one ICE session a week and additionally I want to continue with this running program.....
I should back up for a second and point out that although I would LOVE to class the running program as an ICE session it it isn't at the intense level that it should be, therefore just simply forms part of my other cardio activity.
Now especially after receiving a gentle email reminder from Josh about the need for ICE still it has been decided that Simon and I are going to do a 12/8 interval running session tomorrow and this afternoon (provided the rain eases up) the second day of the running program.
I honestly never thought I would be hoping for the rain to clear up just so I could go for a run.......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment